Unfortunately this is just one stage of the process of doing laundry. In fact, after doing lots of research I've concluded there are 7 stages! And each stage carries with it, the risk of stagnation!
The 7 Stages of Doing Laundry
- Going on a scavenger hunt through the house, collecting dirty clothes from everywhere.
- Sorting the dirty laundry according to color.
- Putting the dirty laundry in the washing machine
- Taking the now clean laundry out of the washing machine
- Putting the laundry in the dryer or on the clothes line
- Taking the laundry out of the dryer, off the clothes line
- Folding the laundry
- Taking the neat piles of freshly laundered clothes to their ultimate destination
I'm happy to report I have no trouble with stage 1 to 3. In fact I kind of like the feeling of pushing the 'on' button of the washing machine. Pushing that button gives me a feeling of a job well done!
Don't leave me hanging!
Unfortunately, about an hour later, a follow up is requested. And that's where I start to struggle. I find it hard to bring myself to get the clean clothes out of the washing machine, because it means I have to hang them. To save time I put dresses, shirts, skirts etc. immediately on a clothes hanger, and then onto the clothes line to dry. That way all I have to do is transfer them to the closet.
I've got a cloth line outside and one on the inside. See picture!
The small stuff, like underwear and socks, I just stuff into the dryer.
I've bombarded my Tuesday and Thursday to folding-laundry-day. I used to put the neat piles of clothes into a hamper waiting to be taken upstairs, but unfortunately I usually forgot. Kids would start to rummage through them looking for something, and soon it looked like it had exploded.
Luckily I found a brilliant solution: I fold everything, and then I shout: 'Kids! I've got something for you to do!' And then I order them to take their own pile of clean clothes, and put it straight into their closet.
To sum up
I struggle with the stages: 4, 5, 6 en 7.
Which stage of doing the laundry do you find hard?
Where do you fold?