Did you know that it only takes 6 minutes of reading to lower your stress levels by 68%?
When you read your heart slows down and your muscles relax. Also, a book can help you put some distance between you and your life. Maybe you're worrying about one of your children. A book can help you take your mind off it. Reading can be a welcome escape from the daily grind.
Reasons to read
I love to read! Ever since I was a child I've been an avid reader. Here's a list of all the reasons I love to read.
- Because I'm curious about a story. De best stories are the ones that grab you my the hair in the first sentence and pull you in. I can get lost in books like that. Though there aren't all that many out there.
- To learn something. I've read books about blogging, gardening and parenting because I wanted to learn how to do it better.
- To find recognition. I love books with short stories about motherhood for example. It makes me feel better to know that other moms struggle too.
- To get inspired! I've got about 20 books about running. And whenever I'm having trouble staying motivated to run, I pick up one of them. And soon I'll be running again!
- Just for fun. Some books I just read because they're fun. No hidden agenda.
- For my blogs. Reading provides me with new ideas for my blog posts.
- For relief! Sometimes life sucks. And when it does, and there isn't much I can do to make it feel better, I love to escape into another world by reading a book.
- To relax. I love curling up with a book on the couch, with a cup of hot tea and some chocolate on hand.
Because reading makes life great I'm always promoting reading to my children. I 'got' two of them. My two daughters read a lot too. But my two eldest sons keep saying: 'Reading is boring.'
Luckily my youngest son has recently started using my eReader to read. I'm not happy he's spending time on a screen, but hey, I'll take what I can get.
Why reading is good for children
Reading is a great gift. Children who read will learn new words without even trying. And they'll learn about the world and people.