How blissfull this peace of mind has been, I realized last Friday. Because that's the day I lost it.
Fifteen year old son with girlfriend. In his room...
My fifteen year old son had invited his girlfriend over to our house, and they were up in his room. It all came rushing back: the feeling of having to be on the alert constantly, of feeling worried and unable to relax.
Then it hit me!
Then suddenly it hit me: playdates for pubescent girls and boys are very similar to playdates for four- and five year olds! And because nobody warned me about this, I feel the need to share this info with you! So you are forewarned!
So here are 5 similarities between playdates for toddlers and playdates for pubescent boys and girls!
5 similarities between Toddler en Teenage playdates
- Both groups like to play doctor
- When it gets real quiet, your alarm bells should go off!
- When they suddenly close a door: you have to go and check on them immediately
- As long as there's a lot of racket, things are okay. Unless the racket is followed by the aforementioned quiet: then you should rush over immediately!
- Toddlers like to mix it up: they sometimes abandon playing doctor to playing hairdresser. You won't be the first mom who has to hand over a playdate to their parents with bangs that are way too short. Pubescent boys and girls won't cut each other's hair, but they do like to give each other hickeys, which makes for the same uncomfortable return to their parents.