You can turn a simple green tree into quite the stunner with the right assortment of ornaments. There are lots of stores offering great decorations. Like Neiman Marcus. They've got a big selection to choose from, at very attractive prices right now. Ornaments at a discount are my favorite kind!
How to keep your Chrismas tree safe
However, as beautiful as they are, Christmas trees are connected with a few hazards. Make sure to keep in mind the following tips to make certain that you, your family and your home are absolutely safe this holiday season.
1. Do not ever place your tree near a heat source such as a portable heater or fireplace.
Not only will this make your tree dry out a lot faster, but both your decorations and the branches can catch fire if you’re not careful!
2. Trim the lower branches to prevent little ones and pets poking an eye out while they dash around in excitement. Losing an eye isn't the right kind of excitement....
3. If you’re hanging ornaments that are breakable, use detachable parts or metal hooks. Then hang them on higher branches where very young children can’t reach them.
This is also good advice for edible ornaments like popcorn garlands and candy canes. If you’re hanging fragile ornaments, secure them using small twists of florist’s wire.
4. Do your best to keep pets out of the room where your tree is going to stand, especially if you’re not going to be there to keep an eye on them at all times.
Cats have a secret desire to meet the angel that resides at the top of the tree, especially when dogs or other pets are chasing them! Use a ceiling hook to keep your tree from toppling and make sure glass ornaments are hung well out of their reach – or rather don’t use them at all. Electrical cords and pets are a hazard so hide them away or buy pet safe conduits.
5. As cheery as it is to come home to twinkling Christmas lights at night, they can short out and cause a fire. So rather be safe than sorry and turn them off whenever you leave the house for more than a few minutes.
Make sure your electrical decorations and extension cords are UL approved and that none of the wiring has frayed since the last time you used them.
Wanna see my tree? You can admire it over here!
Make sure you don't miss any posts on Momfever!